Friday, June 09, 2006



Abke Sawan Aise Barse!


I called my parents back home a few days back. In between I heard a huge thundering noise.Asked Mom what it was. She said " The Monsoons are here!!"

I recollect the early Monsoon days from school times, especially the first rain.Schools would just have started a new year.The day would be hot with not a leaf moving.Then by 4 o clock the clouds would start to arrive and suddenly it would get dark and the wind would start howling. Windows that were left open due to the heat would bang and some would even break..Birds started chirping loudly and all of a sudden the rains would start.

My mom would run out to bring the clothes that were yet on the line. A lovely smell of the parched earth satisying itself with God's water would fill the air.I would run out into the rain only to be followed by my Mom pulling me indoors.Oh it was lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once the first rains were over everything would look washed and fresh, leaves on trees , automobiles left outside and ofcourse my mom's papad:)))

My unsuspecting Dad would get wet on the way back from office and would have hot pakode in his hands while coming home.

Mom made tea and we ate pakode and chai..

The monsoons would begin in full swing. Our clothes would not dry and mom would have a clothes line right in the living room!!!:)) So when you open the door you got someones shirt in your face:)) I used to fight and tell Mom to remove it!

Canvas shoes when washed on a Friday would yet be wet on a Monday morning and I would hate to wear cold shoes to school.

The umbrellas and rain coats used to occupy the only open space in my classroom.

Small puddles would form everywhere and you saw tadpoles jumping everywhere.

My Siblings and me took turns falling ill all throughout the monsoon:)) and also took turns losing umbrellas.Through all those woes we kids would be giggling.The sighting of the occasional rainbow meant the world to us.

Oh I miss those golden days..where did they go??

India ki barish alag hai...America mein woh baat kahan!

7 Comments:

Blogger Dewaker Basnet said...

yeah india ki baarish alag hein..baat hi alag...:)
u have so beautifully expressed the delights of childhood :)

9:35 PM  
Blogger catch 22 said...

Yeah baat to aapne sahi kahi, India ki Baarish ki baat hi alag hain. I luv that song by shubha mudgal and its video too. All the things are captured well. I can relate to every word mentioned in the post. Good blog u have got here.

11:21 PM  
Blogger FumingSalmon said...

gr8 post...made me so nostalgic...everytime it used to rain, me n my sis used to pray that we wud get a "rainy day"...bt it used to happen 1-2 in a season!! a couple of times i used to get a chance to bunk my school as my uniform was still wet..i had to iron it to dry it...else chutti..i remember the guilt on my mom's face whenever i missed my school..bt i wud b happiest :)

yupp US ki baarish is a climatic phenomena...bt in India its a culture...its "monsoon" !!

11:29 PM  
Blogger Neha said...

i love the monsoons!!!it's absolutely the bestesht :D ..lol.. the best season!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Ira Pradhan said...

chai when its raining outside is heaven. Prop yourself on the bed with a book and a full mug of tea. Heaven!

2:15 AM  
Blogger Ira Pradhan said...

chai when its raining outside is heaven. Prop yourself on the bed with a book and a full mug of tea. Heaven!

2:15 AM  
Blogger Rupali_Srivastava said...

Ira,

I am trying to work dear, please dont make me so nostalgic abt those good old days:)))))

Thanks for visiting my blog.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home